24 April 2014

Once upon a time.

Once, in my taxi-driving days, I had a two guys in my cab who were as drunk as they could be, or, at least, maybe they pretended to be. When it came time to pay me, they got out of the cab, (I did too) and stood around for a minute before one of them decided to pay. He pulled out of his pocket the biggest wad of cash I've ever seen, hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars in big bills. He wobbled and weaved and kept waving the money around in front of me. Eventually he found a twenty (a 'double sawbuck,' as we said back in the day) or something, and shakily aimed it in my direction. I took it. He didn't ask for change. They both lurched drunkenly off. The whole incident was so odd that I've thought ever since that they were decoys, undercover cops trying to entrap me into stealing their money.

No comments: