01 February 2008

Tram stop

Excuse me, sir.
He is young. Long, blond hair. Smiling, uncertain. Slight accent. Dutch, I think, maybe German. Straddling a bicycle.
Mm?
Is it permitted to take bicycles on the tram?
I've never seen one on a tram.
And you are on the tram nearly everyday?
Nearly. Where are you going?
Downtown.
You don´t want to cycle there in the rain, I imagine.
No.
I want to tell him about the buses which carry bicycles, but he pedals away before I can speak. I cannot avoid thinking that I have misled him, disappointed him, wrecked a simple communication that could have helped him. I often feel this way in conversation, no matter what the subject.

1 comment:

Malcolm XYZ said...

love these little details. I have decided that a belief in synchronicities and these kinds of details is an essential part of happiness. what I put on my blog today was literally handed to me. the guy i am writing about today has been coming up again and again in my classes and in my peripheral vision.