09 November 2013

October 31, 2013. David Hockney.

A Day in The Life, or, Vita Brevis, Ars Longa. I took myself this afternoon to the De Young, to look at the Hockney exhibition. This stunning show is worth several visits. The number and variety of pieces are beyond what I expected, most of them contributed by the artist himself. The most recent piece in the show is no more than a month old! I came out of the exhibition feeling invigorated and cheerful, thanks I'm sure to the energy and vision of the artist. In the museum shop, a nice Russian lady said to me, "Excuse me, sir. What kind of artist is David Hockney? Modernist? Surrealist?" "David Hockney is David Hockney," I replied; "I don't think that we can place him in any school!" The Russian lady appeared to be satisfied with my response.

No comments: